Douglas K. Poulin
Douglas K. Poulin is an experienced litigation attorney in the areas of business, construction, and real estate litigation. Mr. Poulin’s litigation experience includes all types of business, construction and real estate disputes, including breach of contract, breach of lease, business torts such as fraud, landlord-tenant, title insurance coverage, broker disputes, foreclosures, neighbor disputes, employment litigation, and federal and state court appeals. Mr. Poulin has trial experience in both state and Federal venues, and has experience in all aspects of dispute resolution in all courts, government hearings, arbitrations and mediations.
Mr. Poulin’s representative accomplishments, include:
- Achieved a defense verdict in Federal bankruptcy court adversary proceeding bench trial;
- Achieved favorable settlement in Federal court involving approximately $1 million debt owed by medical practice and involving alter ego allegations;
- Achieved favorable result for physician-client in Federal court involving approximately $1 million liability on an alleged personal guarantee. The personal guarantee was held invalid under California law following a motion for summary judgment;
- Successfully defended a corporate residential landlord in a Federal civil rights lawsuit through a motion for summary judgment resulting in dismissal;
- Successfully defended a corporate residential landlord in a Federal American’s with disabilities’ act lawsuit through a Rule 12(b)(6) motion resulting in dismissal;
- Successfully defended national window manufacturer from class action litigation involving thousands of homes throughout California, resulting in dismissal;
- Represented homeowners in construction defect cases ranging from single family homes to multiple unit subdivisions;
- Recovered substantial sums of damages on behalf of contractors, subcontractors, architects and engineers in mechanic’s liens, stop notice, payment and performance bond and Miller Act bond actions;
- Successfully represented parties in scores of disputes and lawsuits regarding numerous types of business contracts;
- Represented owners, lien holders and title companies in title insurance disputes, including: easement disputes, missed recorded documents, improperly executed or recorded documents, lien priority disputes, fraud and coverage issues; and
- Aggressively resolved landlord and tenant disputes, including unlawful detainers.
1600 SOUTH MAIN STREET
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Tel: (925) 933-9800
Fax: (925) 933-9810
Boston College Law School, Juris Doctorate Degree, 2000; Winner, Wendell F. Grimes Moot Court Competition; Top Ten Best Brief / Outstanding Oral Advocate; Quarterfinalist, Boston College Law School Mock Trial Competition; Finalist: A.B.A. Client Counseling Competition; Moot Court Honor Board: Co-Authored Constitutional Law Problem and Bench Memorandum for competition presided over by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Scotland, Bachelor of Science in Economics, Honors, June 1997; Member, Old Union Debating Society.
State Bar of California; State Bar of Massachusetts; Bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California; Bar of the United States District Court for the Central District of California; and Bar of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
Prior to joining The Williams Firm, Mr. Poulin represented commercial and individual clients in real estate, business, and coverage litigation matters, and was an associate at two large San Francisco law firms, Skjerven, Morrill & MacPhereson and Ropers, Majeski, Kohn & Bentley.
Follow Us On